home aboutus etsyshop contact Image Map

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Veggie Cheese Soup

Fall is officially here!  And even though I live in Phoenix, and it's still 100+ degrees outside, we can still tell a difference in the air. We are anxiously anticipating the arrival of October, which is when our weather magically turns to perfection.

One of the things I love about fall?  Soup.  Stew. Chili.  All those delicious comfort foods that are way too hot and heavy for summer.  So this week, I pulled out of my all time favorite soup recipes.  I love it for a few reasons.  
1:  It's super easy.  
2: It's great for cleaning out whatever veggies I may have laying around.  It's so easy to omit the original vegetables listed in the recipe and throw in something different.  For example?  The recipe doesn't call for corn, but I had half a bag of frozen corn leftover from another dinner, so I just threw it in the pot.  
3: It freezes GREAT.  I will typically double or triple this recipe and just throw a ton of it in the freezer for later, or for when I need to take dinner to a friend.


Veggie Cheese Soup

1/4 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 carrots sliced
2 celery stalks diced
3 potatoes diced
3 c. water
1/2 c flour mixed with 1 c water
1 1/2 c. half and half
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 lb. American cheese
Garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste

Cook vegetables in 3 c. water until tender.  Add in flour/water mix.  Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.  Gradually add milk and half and half.  Add cheese.  Stir frequently until cheese is melted.  Season to taste.

Enjoy!
 photo kadydidSIG1_zps512264ed.png

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...