home aboutus etsyshop contact Image Map

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Adventures in Amblyopia: Part Seven

It's been awhile since I've done any amblyopia updates.  Mostly because it's been pretty quiet 'round these parts as far as my son's eyesight in concerned.  However, I've noticed a few mothers talking on Facebook about their frustrations with patching lately; AND I've had a few new moms (new as in they haven't asked me about it before, not new as in brand new babies :)  ) ask me about our journey with eyeglasses.  And, since we just had our quarterly eye visit, I figured now would be a good time for an update!

For those of you who are new to this series; here's the current scoop (you can start at Part One if you want the entire story!).

My son, Brychan, is now 5.  He just started Kindergarten last month (sniff, sniff). 
 We have been patching for 2 hours a day for almost a year now.  And when I say we patch for 2 hours a day, I mean some days we patch for 30 minutes and others we patch for 4+ hours.  I don't set a timer; I'm not tremendously strict about it.  He knows he has to patch everyday.  He knows if he wants to play on the computer, he has to have a patch on. I kind of let him set the limits as far as time is concerned. I figure it will all balance out in the end (and save a lot of tears and grief in the meantime).  However.  Having said that; if we go for a week where he's only patched for 30 minutes to an hour each day, then I start laying down the law and we play catch up.

It hasn't always been easy, but we are finally at a point where it works for both of us.  

He had a check up just last week, and we were told that Brychan's eyesight is at the absolute best it has ever been.  HALLELUJAH!!!!  Seriously.  I about cried.  To know that all the fighting, worry and tears (on my end and my son's) have not been in vain?  I about cried right there in Dr. Golub's office.  So.  We are going to keep on keepin' on with what we are doing.

And for all you new "patching moms" who are at your wits end trying to get your unwilling child to jump on board?  Don't give up!!  It will be worth it in the end.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Some day (hopefully sooner rather than later), your child will decide that patching is okay.  And then hopefully even quicker than that, you will be able to see the progress your child's eyes are making.  You can do it!!!

P.S.  If you are new to my blog and would like to read any of the other 9 articles I have written about our Adventures in Amblyopia, you can simply search the term "amblyopia" in the search box in the right hand column.  And, welcome, by the way!!  I hope you'll share a story or two and come back soon! :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...