home aboutus etsyshop contact Image Map

Monday, March 4, 2013

Adventures in Amblyopia: Dealing with Jealousy

It's been quite awhile since I've done a post about our adventures with amblyopia, which makes me kind of sad.  So...I'm going to try really hard to get back on that boat.

The topic that's been most on my mind lately is that awful, green-lettered word: Jealousy.

My 3 year old is insanely jealous of his big brother.  Jealous that big bro gets to go to a special eye doctor.  Jealous that big bro gets to wear cool eye patches.  Jealous that big bro (and mom, and dad, and grandparents) gets to wear fun glasses and gets special attention for those said glasses.

So, my 3 year old loves anything related to eye wear.

Which kind of makes me laugh.  If only he knew there was absolutely nothing to be jealous of, AND if I could get my 5 year old to be half as interested in patching as his little brother was, my life would be a breeze!

In order to help him feel more like a part of the "in" crowd we found an old pair of glasses (left behind by one of my brothers, I think) and popped the lenses out so he could have his very own pair of glasses.  He wore these things for several days straight.  And he still keeps tabs on them; he wants to know exactly where they're at; maybe in case he needs them right away?  Who knows.  But it seems to have helped for the moment.


So my question to you is: have you had to deal with jealousy issues at your home with glasses and/or patching?  How did you handle it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...