home aboutus etsyshop contact Image Map

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book Nook

I love books. Especially children's books. Over the years, I have collected several hundred picture books and can't wait for the day when they can all move inside the house into a beautiful bookcase and out of their boxes in the garage.

I figured it might be fun to recommend a different children's book now and then. I'll try to steer towards those that aren't as popular (The Very Hungry Caterpillar is an absolutely wonderful book! However. everybody is familiar with it).

My first pick? The Seven Silly Eaters

I first found this book while reading to a Kindergarten class for a college assignment. I borrowed it from one of my professors and it was a huge hit with the kids. The siblings in the story are working together to make a cake, but they all insist on putting in their individual favorite ingredients. Everybody has to learn to appreciate each other's likes and dislikes, compromise and work together in order to make this cake.

The author, Mary Ann Hoberman, has shared a recipe for the cake the Peters' children end up making. I am dying to try it; I think it would be so fun to read this story with my kids and then get up to make the actual cake. You can find the cake recipe here. If you manage to try it before I can, let me know how it is!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...